We want to hear your story. There are millions of closeted atheists around the world that don’t believe in god but are afraid to say it. They feel scared to be an open freethinker. Let them know that living your life based on evidence, critical thinking, reason and science is nothing to be ashamed of. We live fulfilled lives without a god. You can “come out” and help others do the same!
Guidelines for making the video:
- Begin by talking about who you are and why it is ok to be an atheist.
- Please try to give a moment of encouragement to new atheists and young atheists to come out of the closet.
- Be personal: refer to yourself as a daughter, mother, brother, sister, uncle, cousin, aunt, etc.
- Mention your hobbies or interests
- Explain why someone else should “be counted” as well
- Eye contact – look into the camera
The only restrictions on length or language are based on YouTube policy.
Topics for writing your essay:
- Write a story of how you became an atheist
- Write about how you became comfortable being an atheist
- Why do you do what you do in the atheist movement (if any at all)
- Why its “Ok” to be an atheist?
- Any Atheist topic of your choosing related to “coming out” as an atheist
All of these can be separate topics or integrated together
Directions for submitting your essay:
- Choose one of the topics, or one of your own, and write your story/essay in Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx format) preferred but not required.
- Make sure to include the contact info with your submission.
- Submit your essay through email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the upload-er below.
Directions for submitting your video:
- Make your video and upload it to YouTube.com.
- Once uploaded to YouTube.com, copy and paste the URL into the message area below.
- Submit the photo & video URLs along with the Contact info by clicking the submit button.
Name: First, last
Born: (not required, but it’s nice for other Atheists to be able to find people their own age)
Location: City, state, or zip code
Organization affiliation: (SSA, AA, etc.)
Label: Atheist, Humanist, Secularist, etc.
Former Religious Affiliation: (if applicable) If you used to be religious, please tell us what religion / sect / denomination you were in. This will be a searchable tag so that other people that are, or were, in the same religion can find your video and see something in you that they can relate to.
Your Story: A paragraph to several pages about why you are an atheist or how you became one or maybe a bit of encouragement for others who are not out yet.
Picture: Please copy the URL of the image you’d like us to use for your video introduction. This can be from sites like Flickr, Photobucket, or Picasa Web Albums. If you don’t provide one, we’ll just take a a frame from your video and use it (which doesn’t look as nice). Alternatively, you can also email us a picture at email@example.com.